Our Quantity Surveying team provide diligent support in cost planning, estimation, dispute preparation and reporting to public and private sector clients.
From project feasibility to completion, our Quantity Surveying team provide services to the highest professional and ethical standards and to the consistently high technical standard necessary for our clients to rely on in realising their project aspirations.
While traditional quantity surveying is at the core of our teams offering, we provide a wide range of allied services consistent with the maturing requirements of the industry.
The Quantity Surveying service
SJA’s Quantity Surveying provide an insurance valuation service carried out on an agreed period basis. This valuation is then used to determine the sufficiency or otherwise of an owner’s replacement cost insurance cover.
- Valuation of demolition works
- Valuation of design costs for replacement of asset
- Valuation of approval and regulatory costs
- Valuation of replacement construction costs to current industry codes and standards
- Valuation of construction consultant costs
- Insurance claim management and settlement services
Combining traditional skills and industry standard software, the SJA Quantity Surveying team produces bills of quantities for its clients in a variety of formats and to a variety of specified standards depending on use to which the completed bills of quantity will be put.
- Preparation of Bills of Quantities (firm)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (approximate)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (priced – using benchmark rates)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (unpriced)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (work elemental)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (by trade package)
- Preparation of Bills of Quantity (for procurement)
SJA’s Quantity Surveying team provide total project cost plans which are presented in report form and include the critical ingredients; basis of cost plan/estimate, key quantities or areas, specific inclusions and exclusions, assumptions, benchmark indicators, contingency and cost escalation provisions.
Estimates are prepared in either elemental or trade format using industry standard software (typically Cost-X) and follow best practice guidelines such as the Australian Standard Method of Measurement.
- Preparation of comparative cost plans for masterplan design options
- Preparation of comparative cost analysis for alternate concept design layouts and schemes – typically in elemental format
- Preparation of functional design cost estimates
- Preparation of total project cost plans to support business case or final investment decisions
- Preparation of Capital Investment Value (CIV) reports
- Development of design estimates prepared in either elemental or trade format
- Preparation of pre-tender contract documentation estimates typically prepared in trade format
SJA’s Quantity Surveying team provides an evaluation service to assist clients in determining if a proposed development it is feasible within an estimated cost and whether a certain design will, when realised as a completed asset, provide a return on investment that achieves specified criteria.
With expertise is in the preparation of building construction costs derived from our experience with similar projects supplemented, where appropriate, with market benchmark pricing, SJA’s reports provide sensitivity and risk adjusted advice on costs and assist with the investment decision process.
SJA monitors feasibility forecast outcomes throughout the design development phase of the project and if the need arises, can assist with any value management and risk mitigating strategies in order to support re-alignment with investment terms and conditions
- Preparation of comparative cost analysis reports on alternative design options
- Preparation of total project cost estimates to be used in feasibility cost studies
- Preparation of calculations and provisions of residual land value reports
- Preparation of calculations and reports of terminal return on investment
SJA’s Quantity Surveying team provides tax paying entities its expertise in assessing their real estate property investments and/or other built facilities which generate taxable income. Qualifying properties may include commercial properties and residential properties.
SJA’s assessment reports are based on taxpayer’s expenditure in acquiring property or incurred capital costs in constructing income producing properties or facilities. All assessments are in accordance with Divisions 40 and 43 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 and associated tax rulings.
SJA’s Capital Allowance Reports include tax depreciation schedules calculated using two methods of declining asset values; Prime Cost Method and Diminishing Value Method. The information is prepared for the use of the taxpayer (or their tax advisors) as a basis for inclusion in their tax deduction claims.
Capital Allowance assessments for tax depreciation claims conducted by SJA are carried out by or supervised by appropriately qualified Quantity Surveyors registered with the Tax Practitioners Board.
Capital Allowance Reports prepared by SJA for the purposes of tax depreciation claims are tailored to the type of property, its acquisition/procurement and needs of the client. Collaboration with the clients’ tax advisors is highly recommended to ensure optimum reporting.
- Provision of ATO compliant Tax Depreciation Schedules (commercial or residential)
- Provision of Tax Depreciation estimates for use by developers in pre-construction marketing
- Provision of Tax Depreciation estimates for use by prospective property purchasers
SJA’s qualified and experienced Quantity Surveying team provide both pre-construction and construction phase independent reports to typical financier requirements.
- Preparation of independent pre-construction costs reports
- Preparation of independent reports on scope definition
- Preparation of independent reports on proposed contract risk allocation
- Preparation of construction phase independent reports on contractor’s monthly progress claims
- Preparation of independent cost-to-complete reports
- Provision of Independent Certifier Services
The appointment of the contractor typically signifies commencement of the delivery phase where the provision of quantity surveying services continues to be considered critical to a successful project outcome.
In this phase, SJA’s Quantity Surveying team provide periodic (typically monthly) financial reporting to the owner’s delivery team so as to give transparency of the project financial status through the build or design and build period to completion and handover; and on through the defect correction period.
- Preparation of monthly cost and cost to complete reports
- Preparation of risk, contingency and escalation cost and forecast cost reports
- Preparation of periodic and whole of project cashflow reports
- Preparation and assessment of Progress Payment Claims
- Preparation and assessment of variation claim submissions
- Preparation and assessment of extension of time claims
- Preparation and assessment of delay cost claims
- Preparation and assessment of disruption cost claims
- Preparation and negotiation of Final Contract Sum and Final Account Bill of Quantities
A critical phase in bringing a construction project to reality is procurement of the contractor.
SJA’s Quantity Surveying team provides support services to clients from advice on the process and method of contractor vetting and selection, compilation of tender documents, management of the tender process including adjudication, value management initiatives to formulation of award recommendations and support in conforming contract documentation for execution.
- Provision of tender process recommendations
- Contractor vetting and pre-qualification services
- Tender document preparation
- Tender process management including Q&A and receipt of submissions
- Tender adjudication services including reporting
- Value management services
- Contract negotiation advice (as to risk allocation, time and cost)
- Preparation of award recommendations
- Conforming contract documents for execution
- Shadow tender services